I posted already about my meal plan for last week which is found here. After writing this, I thought it would be a good idea to choose my favourite meal and post the recipe here. Now of course my favourite was the quesadilla, I looooooove quesadillas and finding a healthy one is perfect for me! It’s also great for making use of ingredients I will use throughout the week but won’t finish, especially the feta cheese. The one I made came to 704 calories, which admittedly is a lot of calories but with the rest of my meal plan, I managed to stay within my 1,200 calorie goal. There are also ways of cutting down on the calories which I will mention within the recipe. You can also buy lower calorie products than the ones I buy most of my supplies from Sainsbury’s just because that is the closest thing living at uni however, you may be able to search around and find lower calorie options. All the brands used in this recipe were Sainsbury’s own unless otherwise stated.
- 1 x Loose Sweet Potato (mine weighed 215g = 185 calories)
- 16g or 1 cup Baby Leaf Spinach (4 calories)
- 56g or 3/4 cup Feta Cheese (155 calories, can also substitute with other cheeses)
- 2x Wholemeal Tortilla Wraps (360 calories)
- 10 sprays Fry Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil (10 calories)
- Chop your sweet potatoes into chunks. I cut mine into small cubes so they would fit neatly inside the wrap. Bake them in the oven at 220ºC /425ºF for about 20 minutes or until soft and slightly crisp.
- Chop your spinach. I chopped mine as small as I could but if you like, you can choose to cut yours chunkier.
- When the sweet potatoes are baked, place them on top of the first wrap with the feta cheese and spinach. Spread these evenly across the centre of the wrap/tortilla. Then place the second tortilla on top. To reduce calories, you could use one tortilla and fold it in half over the filling which I will be trying next time. This may require less filling.
- Spray the olive oil onto a frying pan on medium to high heat (mine was on setting 5 out of 6 but every hob is different) Cook the quesadilla for about 4 minutes on each side or until the wrap is golden and the cheese melts. As I found out, this part is tricky as you have to try keep all the filling inside the two wraps!
- Serve with guacamole, your choice of sauce, or even plain! (I went with the standard tomato sauce, I’m still a student!)